Once you get MakePE where it needs to be, there are several Example CMD files that you can kick off. I recommend Example WinPE 5 x86.cmd. Make sure you Run as Administrator.
What if I don’t want to Run as Administrator?
If you decide not to Run as Administrator, you will only face grief
What are the Requirements?
For starters you need AIK or ADK (or both)
- Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) is required to service WinPE 3
- Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit for Windows 8.1 Update is required to service WinPE 5
- Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit for Windows 10 is required to service WinPE 10
Without them, you will get a gentle reminder (and a graceful exit)
Well that is honestly all you need. But if you want more functionality, you need additional components, but those will be discussed later.
- MDT is Optional, Required if you want MDT Integration
- DaRT is Optional
- WinRE is Optional, but Highly Recommended
- Drivers are Optional, but Recommended
Don’t Install AIK and ADK Yet!
If you are planning on working with all versions of WinPE, it is impossible to get AIK, ADK 8.1, and ADK 10 on the same system. Luckily MakePE works around this.
If you happen to notice the CMD Window, you will see that the valid locations for AIK and ADK are listed. Also several new directories were created in MakePE just for this purpose.
So if we want to work with WinPE 5, complete the following:
- Install ADK for Windows 8.1 Update on a Windows 8.1 x64 (VM) system. Copy the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits directory into MakePE\Components.
Once that is complete, MakePE has everything it needs to create a WinPE from AIK.
If you need to add support for WinPE 3:
- Install AIK for Windows 7 (and the Supplement for Windows 7 SP1) on a Windows 7 x64 (VM) system. Copy the C:\Program Files\Windows AIK directory into MakePE\Components.
And if you want to add support for WinPE 10:
- Install ADK for Windows 10 on a Windows 10 x64 (VM) system. Copy the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 directory into MakePE\Components\Windows Kits
Once all three Windows Kits are installed, MakePE has everything it needs to make a basic WinPE 3, WinPE 5, and WinPE 10. Unfortunately I did not write support for WinPE 4, but that shouldn’t really matter at this point.